Wednesday 4 December 2013

Couldn't resist entering the very first challenge (using acetate) at Off the Rails Scrapbooking. You can checkout the challenge at http://offtherailsscrapbooking.blogspot.com.au/

As you can see, I decided to do a card for my project. I started by using one of my favourite things - a paper napkin. (I have all sorts of paper napkins that I use in scrapbooking, card making and mixed media projects.) I started by cutting out the pieces of the napkin I wanted, in this case, the butterflies. My napkin was three ply so I separated the top butterfly layer from the other two layers.

Then I placed my butterflies between two pieces of acetate and ironed them. The iron was on medium heat and I protected the butterfly/acetate by ironing it under a linen tea towel. The iron cannot be too hot as the acetate will crinkle or melt and it is essential to go slow and keep checking. Once the acetate adhered, I waited until it cooled then cut around the butterflies leaving a tiny overlap of acetate around the edges.

Next I cut and scored some cardstock to form the basis of the card. I then cut some complementary cardstock and co-ordinating paper to go on the front of the card. I then centre and glued the three layers together.

I decided to make my own acetate quote. I printed my quote onto plain A4 paper to make sure it was exactly what I wanted. After cutting out a piece of acetate and sticking it over the quote on the A4 paper with small pieces of magic tape, I put the paper back in the printer and reprinted the quote. This time the quote printed on the acetate. I switched my printer to medium quality because it prints better on acetate that way and is less likely to smudge. Because I only used small pieces of magic tape, it was easy to remove the quote from the paper.

Then the fun part - assembling all the pieces. I stuck the butterflies on with foam dots and the acetate quote with velum glue. Some added bling and voila!

10 comments :

  1. Wendy thank you for entering the first challenge at Off The Rails Scrapbooking http://offtherailsscrapbooking.blogspot.com.au/ Butterflies are one of my favourite things and I love what you have done with the napkin, very clever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ideas - now to get myself thinking. But first I have to go and dig in the garden while it is a little cooler. That will give me some thinking time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No gardening here today Barbara - too wet. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  3. Wendy this is amazing. The detailed techniques you've used are fantastic. Who would have thought you could iron acetate together! I can't wait to try this out in my next project. Thanks for joining our first challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for using the napkins Wendy!
    It looks gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerri. I love using paper napkins for mixed media projects also. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow Wendy that is amazing!! Thanks for the explanation on how you made the butterflies, just fantastic. Love that you shared that. The card is gorgeous. Thanks for entering the challenge over at Off the Rails Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after approval. No anonymous comments will be accepted.