Sunday 15 February 2015

ARTastic February Challenge

The ARTastic challenge this month is a colour challenge based on the painting "Muggles" by Josh Miels. 




Joshua Miels is a contemporary portrait artist who looks to capture the vulnerability of people and the emotions that people try to hide from others. Spending countless hours adding layer upon layer of paint, Joshua produces artworks that are not only striking but deep and powerful. Painted with predominantly oil paint, each piece starts off with a subject, but with a large amount of experimentation.  Each art piece has its own journey on how its get from start to finish. The artworks challenge viewers to draw upon their own emotions and personal experiences. How each piece is interpreted differs from person to person and there is no right or wrong way to interpret these artworks.
 

This is a beautiful piece of art and, although it's not my normal colour palette, I love the soft feminine hues. I really enjoyed the challenge and this is what I came up with for my creative team project.

 
 

I used flowers on my layout to create a feminine look like the one in the painting. Also, the face in the painting is strong so I chose a close-up head shot for my layout. There's a lot going on in the painting with the colour blending and pronounced brush strokes. I've tried to recreate that sort of depth by using several layers of elements on my layout. I created the background with Gesso, water colour paints and Gelatos. I used stencilling, die cuts, chipboard, flowers and a crochet heart to build the layers. 

 

Here are some close-ups of  the details on the layout:

 
 
 

If you feel like a challenge this month, come over and join us at ARTastic - we would love to see your work and you could win a lovely prize from Mystical Scrapbooks or Flourish With A Bling.

 

Thank you stopping by. :)

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after approval. No anonymous comments will be accepted.